Thursday 11 April 2013

Who knew that water could be so political???


 I was just reading an article on Reuters describing how, in Peru, there is an engineering project to move water from the wet, Atlantic side of  the Andes to the dry, Pacific side in order to irrigate an area for agriculture.

This seems emminently sensible and a good use of engineering and scientific skills, but with the 20th Century history of communism in South America I was surprised and alarmed to read one of the final paragraphs that stated:

Also, access to water that is too easy can result in stalinisation, as water-logged fields build up salt in soil at levels toxic to crops
 I know that water is an immensely powerful element, but I had no idea that it could shape political thinking of what I expect to be largely humble farmers. It just goes to show that you never know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.