Thursday 11 April 2013

Meatloaf at the O2, London - Last to Bat

Well one has to say that his voice is shot. I felt the sound mix let the vocal element down, but maybe that was intentional to cover Meatloaf's limitations. I also noticed that the backing vocals "surrounded" his voice subtley adding range and depth that I doubt he can deliver these days. He joked about one song covering three octaves; while no musician I wonder if he can manage one these days?

Despite that one cannot criticise what he still puts into a performance. He repeatedly reminded the audience that he is 65, but he still loads the stage with passion, emotion and guts. Some songs visibly drained him and others had him on tears (more than once!)

His supporting performers were excellent and his crowd loyal. It is 35 years since the Bat Out of Hell was released and it still sells well. Generations were there last night from students to pensioners, all enjoying the event.

He played around 3 hours with a 15 minute intermission, including, as billed, the full Bat Out of Hell album in order.

All in all I am glad I went and that my teenage daughter shared in the experience, my wife having declined.

If this is truly his farewell tour, then it is some way to go out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.