Saturday 13 April 2013

Meatloaf, I have a right to a personal opinion even if you don't like it!





Readers of my blog will know that I attended the Meatloaf concert at the O2 in London this week. I have commented on what a good night it was, but that I thought his voice was carefully husbanded - I still say that!

Following the concert I did look for clips on YouTube and found one with a comment that the soundman had let him down. I commented that I suspected the sound mix had been very intentional to mask Meatloaf's voice that I thought was shot. Yes he is 65 (as he kept reminding us) and voice's do change, but his was not good.

Today I found that Meat (if I may call him that?) appears to have taken exception and bothered to post a comment on my YouTube channel. You can see he is not happy from the comment that I have cut and pasted below. It came from RedPony2 that appears to be his official video channel.

My voice is not shot and how can you tell and Post a comment from a youtube shot a 100 miles away . In that arena the echo bouncing all OVER ... I will come to your work and judge it from a block away . I can still sing and make your ears bleed on Pitch . Come into my dressing for my 20 MIN warm up with Justin my Piano Player. The tone of my has changed after 3 vocal surgery's and 3 sinus surgery's and not being 29 years old . Not a single singer sounds like they did when they were in there 20's .. Very off handed comment YOU WERE NOY THERE AND YOU MAKE A JUDGE FROM A STUPID YOUTUBE ...SHAME ON YOU .
Let me say I was surprised that he should a) have seen the comment and b) been incensed enough to reply. As he had his facts wrong (I was there) and b) seems to have the equivalent of beer goggles when it comes to his voice - he certainly did not deliver a quality vocal performance, even one for a 65 year old man, that evening -  I felt I should reply. My post back to him at RedPony2 is
So you don’t like me saying your voice is shot? Let me put this right. I WAS there in London and I paid good money for a great show with passion, emotion and showmanship, but I stand by my comment that I think and so do many others if you cared to ask and listen to them, that your voice is/was shot. Yes a voice changes and maybe three surgeries should be telling you something, but I wonder if I would need both hands to count the number of notes you hit all evening and I do think your sound mixer ran a great defence for you in London. The other voices wrapped yours very cleverly. I am entitled to an opinion, one that I know it is shared by a good many others. I love your records and I am glad I went to the show, but frankly if you made my ears bleed, I sincerely doubt it would be from pitch these days. So if I hit a nerve, suck it up and enjoy the accolades of this last tour, but at least be honest with yourself. 
I wonder if I will see any comeback? If I do you may see another post in future

Update: - I have not heard a thing from Meat since this exchange, though doe ssem to have developed a propensity to cancel shows. Maybe we were luckier than we know to have seen him at all?



No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.