Thursday 1 March 2012

Armed and Dangerous

I am now armed with a small watercolour set and have some(!) idea how to use it. Scarey thought, eh?

That said I doubt that Hockney or Emin should have any worries.

Yesterday I spent time with an interesting group of people. A friend organised a LeapDay event on the basis that it was an extra "free" day and we should do something different and constructive. My friend, Doug Shaw, runs a business called "What Goes Around" and is all about people and engagement with them as colleagues, staff and clients. He ran an successful UnConference last year

 He is an accomplished musician and thought that yesterday we could bring art and business a little closer. He collected, rather than organised as the agenda was flexible, an interesting group (around 16 at max) of people. Many of them were involved in coaching and mentoring, but not all.

Apart from some stimulating conversation, we had two primary sessions. In the morning we morning we did some sketching, with a little coaching of each other in the middle, and in the afternoon one of our number led a watercolour workshop teaching some of the techniques and ideas.

Along with the idea of freeing ourselves to achieve more than we thought (happened in most cases) there were quite a few parallels drawn with business. This included perspective, patience, let the "paint" work rather than forcing it, really seeing what is in front of you rather than what you expect, etc.

The day rounded off with a visit to an art exhibition and a beer (or two). On the walk to the gallery we enjoyed an unplanned viewing of a some superb graffiti just outside the venue we used.

All in all a good day. Something of a "me" day and all the better for the company and the freedom to explore something new. We all need that sort of day at times.

I have no idea if I will do any more with my watercolours, but it is something else to add to my personal inventory.

As a close here is my attempt at painting a grape. Trying to capture the shading and even the shadow cast.


I will accept any reasonable offers for this mini-masterpiece :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.