Tuesday 20 March 2012

Words Are Wonderful! - Shoogle

I tend to think that I have a good vocabulary, but still enjoy discovering new words. I don't count the scientific ones my daughter, who is studying psychology, catches me with. They are clinical and not at full of interest and meaning.

With this in mind I discovered a new word as I was reading a crime novel based in Aberdeen. The word is
SHOOGLE

It was used twice in a few pages so I just had to look it up. It seems it is a Scottish word meaning to shake, wobble or move from side to side, as in "(he) schoogle his chair in, closer to the table".




I now feel challenged to bring this word into some part of my daily use......so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.