Friday 23 March 2012

As legends die.......

Earlier in this blog I wrote about the sad death of Andy Ripley, and England, Lions and Barbarian legend so it was with additional sadness I spotted the death of Mervyn Davies, the Wales, Lions and Barbarian legend.

The two were at their peak when I was a schoolboy learning the game and their style and enjoyment of the sport was very influential on me. Mervyn, unfortunately, collapsed on the field with a brain haemorrhage and while he recovered it seems he never came to terms with all the implications of his diminished capabilities.

That he died last week (I missed the initial announcement) reminded me that many of the legends of that era are ageing fast and may not be with us at all in a few years time.

On the brighter side I wonder if we are seeing the emergence of new legends, in Alex Corbisiero, the England tight head prop and in Dave Denton, the young Scottish No 8?

Corbisiero was, at least to me, pretty much an unknown a year or so ago. He was chewed up and spat out against Ireland last year, yet last Saturday he was the cornerstone of the English pack that demolished the Irish. He has always done a lot more than scrum and if the pundits are to be believed is one on the few Englishmen to have pretty well claimed their place in the Lions' test team next year. Something of a turnaround and injury permitting, I wonder how good he will become and for how long.

In that same team Ben Morgan has really announced his arrival, with bustling, barnstorming performances, but when you consider the youth of Dave Denton, his achievements this year his playing stands out further.

Scotland have proud iced some great players and Denton may be another.

These are two I will watch over the coming years and I think they should feature loudly in the next Rugby World Cup when they will have the experience to make the most of their skills.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.