Friday 3 February 2012

18 key questions a Change Sponsor should ask

There is little support for project and programme sponsors; certainly in comparison with all the training and tools available to project managers. This is something I am looking to address shortly, but by way of taster I thought I would share 18 key questions I think a sponsor should ask at different stages of a change project or programme. Of course there is a lot more to being a sponsor, but the answers to these questions will help determine and drive the other work that will be needed.

I have taken the simple story metaphor for a change project/programme ie a beginning, a middle and and end. In essence all change structured change methodologies use this even if it is iteratively (ie repeatedly).

The beginning is where all the parties involved are striving to understand what needs to be done and how they will go about doing it. It also includes the formative stages whgen teams form and work starts ie the project is mobilised.

The middle is where the heavy lifting is done. This is where the design is finalised the solution built and tested and the implementation planned. This takes a different focus and can take a long time. It is easy for the sponsor to take a step back at this stage, but this would be wrong. The team needs the sponsor to be a full part in this less exciting, but critical part.

The end is where the solution is implemented, the project brought to closure and the benefits start being realised (hopefully). It is good to be involved when things are going well, but it is more important to be there when things are not going so well.

The table below summarises what I believe are key questions; some to ask yourself, others to ask your project/programme manager.


Ask yourself
Ask your project manager
Beginning
  • Do I understand and can I articulate clearly what success will look and feel like? What will be the key measures?
  • Do I understand the key stakeholders and their positions vis the change?
  • Do I trust the project manager and have time to support him/her?
  • What is your recommended approach to executing this change?
  • What will you require to deliver this and why?
  • What do you see as the critical path and key risks?
Middle
  • Am I confident that the project is on course to come in within tolerances?
  • Are all the stakeholders still on board? Are there any new ones?
  • Am I supporting the project team to my best?
  • What are the key risks and issues you are facing or expecting?
  • Has anything changed that I need to know about or resolve?
  • Will the business be ready to receive the change?
End
  • What does the team need from me to bring closure?
  • What have I learnt and what will I do differently next time?
  • How shall we celebrate and how will effectively communicate our success?
  • Is everything good enough to go; what are the risks involved in going live?
  • What is outstanding and who will finish/resolve matters?
  • What have we learned from this experience?

I hope you will find these useful.

The ebook I am putting together will expand on these and provide further insight and support. I hope this will be available in the next couple of months, but if anyone wishes to know more beforhand please just comment here or mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.