Monday 17 December 2012

Remember how fortunate you have been.....

.....rather than concentrate on negativities.

It is part of human nature to grasp tighter to the bad things, the things that are wrong, than to remember and appreciate the good things. This is certainly true in the more difficult times in which we live so maybe now as Christmas approaches and another year ends it is a good time to constructively reflect.

The second thing is that as one gets older one forgets more, in part because one has more to forget. In a recent episode of "Elemental", the US series based on Sherlock Holmes, the lead character posits that there is only so much his mind can hold and unless he ignores and drops the trivial stuff we won't have space for that which matters.

Scientifically, I don't believe that to be true, but practically there is something to it.

This year, for a number of reasons, we did not have a family holiday - the first time for us - and it generated a few moans from my wife and daughter (though she did have a remarkable trip to India with her school). I made the point to my wife that while we had not travelled this year, we had been fortunate in out life and visited many interesting places. I started listing them in my head and found that I would finish and then add another. Many of the places were ones I had not thought of for a long while, yet contained good experiences and positive memories.

I decided to write things down and started a mindmap. The first three quarters was pretty easy, but I have found myself adding things for a few weeks. There were no rules, other than those I decided. I tended to list countries I had visited, but in places like the US also added states and cities. It is on my iPad and I add to it as thoughts cross my mind.

 
Originally, I had forgotten about my trip to Malta and Albania, but now they are there too. For me this has been a good exercise and reminds me how fortunate I have been. It also helps my naturally ailing memory cells.

I am now doing a similar exercise for the music acts I have seen live. There are plenty there that I had forgotten too!!

My suggestion is that you pick something that has brought you pleasure and stimulation and try and make a similar list or lists. It could be plays you have seen, books you have read, galleries you have visited. If you are anywhere as old as I am, I am pretty sure there will be instances that you have forgotten, that when reflected upon bring you pelasure again and can give perspective to your current situation.

Just try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.