Thursday 13 December 2012

Cardiac workouts before the Christmas party


Today is the prime Christmas party day in the City, the last Thursday close enough to Christmas, but not actually right up close. As a result the trains today have seen extra luggage!!!

I have watched a number of woman pulling along suitcases that should be sufficient for a family's two week summer holiday. I offered to help one carry her's up some stairs, but she was intent to manage it alone. The additional articles made the trains feel twice as full and put a rosey glow on the ladies' cheeks.

While one case did run along with that hollow, largely empty sound, I suspect most contain a choice of clothes and shoes, maybe three, back up articles in case of catastrophe and a beauty set that would grace a Hollywood film set. And I bet many still find they have forgotten something.

As a man I can recognise this, yet not participate. I am going out in black tie this evening and my bag containing all I need (yes, a full change!) was slung over my shoulder.

I am sure the end results of these ladies' efforts will be well worthwhile and I hope their colleagues show full appreciation, but I wonder if they will have the energy to last the night and enjoy it having started the day with a major cardiac workout. I do hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.