Monday 5 November 2012

The Growth of Linkedin Networks


 
Back in February 2011 I blogged about a useful(?) Linkedin application that mapped out one's network, illustrating who was connected to who and where the concentrations are. I don't recall how many connections I had, but it is shown in the top left elelment of the diagram above.

This was the time that I left my employer of 6.5 years and embraced a more flexible attitude to working, accepting contract or permanent opportunities. QUite simply I would rather be working and doing interesting "stuff" than not.

Well now, just 20 months later I have had my Linkedin network redrawn and I think the reader can see a substanstial difference. It is certainly a much denser map. The colouring is determined by the Linkedin software so there is not a direct comparison, but positioning of individuals on the two map is broadly similar so the development of the lefthand-side is notable.

As of today, Linkedin reports I have 670 direct connections,leading to almost 12 million people. What I know is that in the last 18 or so months I have been more "out there", contributing to discussions, sharing knowledge and experience and commenting with opinion. I have also been an active blogger.

My view is broadly that if I meet someone I find interesting, I look to connect. If someone asks to connect to me, then until or unless I have a reason not to, then I will accept them. There are undoubtedly some serial and indiscriminate networkers, but on the whole I believe people are genuine and one never knows where the next great opportunity will come from.

The one thing I never sought and gave only sparingly and genuinely was recommendations on Linkedin. Similarly I am not that keen on the endorsement feature, but I have participated for people I rate and for skills I have truly seen demonstrated.

Anyway, as a man who draws pictures it is rewarding to see the growth of my network (reward for my effort?) depicted visually. I wonder what it will look like in another 20 or so months?


No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.