Friday 16 November 2012

Contribute to the power of 12 million cups of coffee!

 
As the festive season approaches I want to test the power of networks and the value micro-gifts , especially as my linkedin profile reports that my network has just topped 12 million and, while considerably more modest, my blog is now registering 3,000 hits per month. If I could persuade just a small percentage of those numbers to do something “good” at this time of year then the total effect should be substantial and worthwhile.
My suggestion is that we use the price of a cup of coffee as the common “micro” unit in question. That we are all connected and using the internet suggests that we are better off than many. I suspect that we all buy cups of coffee or something similar during our working day, but what if we all gave up just one purchase and instead put that money to more charitable and good spirited use?
If you are prepared to do so then I  wouldn’t dare preach about what you should do with the money that would have bought that cup of coffee. That is entirely up to you and your personal interests and opportunities. It might be a gift to an individual or cause, the support of a charity, or just something you feel will do good. The only request I do make is that this is something you would not have otherwise done and thus is an increment to the amount of good done in the world at this time of year.
While I am happy to hear what you have done (just add a comment) I don’t need to know. What I would ask is that if you have or are prepared to do this then please like (on linkedin)  or share this update with others so that it spreads through my network and others can see the momentum as it develops.
I can’t promise anything in return other than membership of something that has added positively to this world and made it better for others. Maybe we can move the world forward, even just a little bit, and who of us here can't afford to risk the cost of a cup of coffee?
I sort of started this the other day while queuing for a cup of coffee. It was quite cold and wet and a rather bedraggled homeless man approached begging for “his breakfast”. If I am honest I don’t usually give to outright beggars in London – there are too many stories of organised gangs, but in this instance I offered to buy him a cup of coffee. My thinking being that at least I would know my gift went to his sustenance. He asked for hot chocolate instead, but the principle still stood. In truth I then gave him the change I received from the vendor. His acceptance of my gesture had softened my attitude to giving cash to a beggar, well at least this one.
As I say, it is not something I usually do or have done since. Nor have I seen him again. That is not the point, but rather that in some small way it felt the right thing to do and worthwhile.

My commitment is that I will do it again in the coming weeks, when I see what feels like the right opportunity.

If anyone has seen the film "Elf" they will know how the Christmas spirit fuels Santa's sleigh. Well the donation of each "cup of coffee" should add an increment to the goodwill in the global tank. While I know this is a Christian image and festive season, I hope that readers of any faith can understand the sentiment and feel the desire to participate.

Now if we could deliver 12 million of those increments – that would make a difference!

PS As an indication of scale it would take almost 12 million cups of coffee to fill an Olympic swimming pool!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.