Friday 16 November 2012

Character is..........


I saw this image on Pinterest some time ago and then came across it again yesterday. I thought I would post it to my blog as a way of "embedding" it in my thoughts.

It seems particularly important at this time of year. I have had two charity/fundraising events this week and joined the orgnaising committe for another. Additionally I have had a few conversations along the lines of helping others. I blogged before about giving a distressed young girl a train fare home and how I hoped that should my daughter ever need help, someone would return the favour - karma if you like.

A couple of years ago I came across a well dressed lady reeling drunken in the street, a victim of a Christmas party excess, who had been separated from her companions. I helped her to the station ( I was going there anyway ) got her some black coffee and led her to the ticket gate for her train home. When I told the story to someone this week they pointed out how few people would do that because of the risk of perceived/accused wrong doing.

I just did it.

In another instance I have bought copies of the Big Issue from the same vendor, one I used to walk past most days. I like the idea of the Big Issue in that the less fortunate are doing something to help themselves and I am happy to support that. Over the years I have always paid over the cover price and given him something extra at Christmas time. He did ask me for a loan of £10 in the past and as I recall I decided to just give it as a donation.

I have not seen him for some time, yet passed him the other night. I had already bought my copy of the magazine this week, but stopped for a few words and a promise to buy one next time. This time he asked me to loan him £20. Maybe I was right and maybe I was wrong, but it didn't feel the right thing to do. It felt like he had crossed a line. I am not proud, but neither am I uncomfortable that I made my excuses and left.

I confess to this last point as I do not think one has to be a soft touch to have good character. Judgement still plays an important part.

I believe I am of good character, yet it does no harm to remind oneself at times and I think periodic sight of the graphic above would be of benefit to many.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.