Friday 2 November 2012

Contributory Manslaughter - the fear thereof

This is a slightly tongue-in-cheek post, well at least the title is, but this week my 17 year-old daughter had her first driving lesson. She was excited beforehand and came back on something of a high. She assures me her clutch control was exceptional for a first lesson and that unusually she was allowed to drive home from where she had been practising.

As you can tell she does not lack self-confidence!

The car she was in had dual control so the instructor was able to intervene if necessary. Also, she was being taught by a stranger, a qualified instructor, someone I am sure she paid more attention to than she would either of her parents.

Even with this she had primary control of a "ton" of high powered metal, something that magnifies her destructive power many, many times. This is frightening thought for a parent who has been (and probably always will feel) responsible for the actions of their child.

I do not expect there to be any problems and I am sure that should something happen, I am legally exonerated from her actions while under instruction or indeed once she has passed and has a full licence, but I wonder how I or her mother would feel inside?

God willing we will never find out, so I will keep fingers crossed and anything else that guards against bad fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.