Thursday 11 August 2011

Letter from America

As I enjoy a family vacation in Florida I thought I would endeavour to chronicle the things that catch my attention each day. If nothing else it will be a good exercise in observation, but hopefully it will amuse, entertain or stimulate ( or any combination of the three).

So Day 1 - The Jouney, was thankfully largely uneventful. Our flight was delayed for an hour as they swapped planes - better to use one that is working, eh?

On arrival there were the usual afternoon showers, but it was hot! The car hire tried to separate me from another $250 for a car that was way more than we needed and a large, though probably harmless spider sent my daughter squealing down the terminal building.

The hotel room was fine, just as described on the Internet and our travel agent had booked everything in do there were no surprises.

All in all an uneventful day, even when I parted with a small fortune for pretzels and drinks while promenading along the Disney Marketplace which is just across the road from us.

The most interesting thing I can report is the bartender at the hotel's sportsbar. I went there for the obilgatory pre-bed, first holiday beer - the one on the plane doesn't count. While ordering a Shocktop, a White Belgian beer seved with a slice of orange, I noticed a British accent. It turns out she is from Jersey (that is the Channel Islands, not the US State), but moved to Florida 21 years ago. I wonder how one lives somewhere like the US for over 20 years and not pick up a new / lose your old accent?
No answers fom me, just a question to ponder.

Not very exciting but let's see what the next days bring?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Orlando, Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.