Monday 18 March 2013

What a Six Nations!!!!


So at the end of the 2013 tournament the table stands like this.

I am a little surprised to find France at the bottom (Wooden Spoon in our parlance), but having seen the way they started against Italy at the start of the competition maybe I shouldn't be.

Wales are at the top and from yesterday's showing (I haven't watched all their matches) they deserve to be. They played some attractive rugby with pace and strength. I suspect they will be well represented in the Lions squad.

Scotland AND Italy firmly placed in mid-table will probably have pleased both and again feels right given what I have seen. Many would have suspected they would be filling the bottom two places, but Italy have shown considerable grit and some skill and Scotland have shown some good signs, just not enough of them to be higher.

So that leave England and Ireland one off top and bottom position respectively. As an England supporter I hoped for better from England, but they seem to have gone downhill since the sparkling start. It may be that the opposition coaches have sussed what England were doing and have managed to counter it, or it may just be a return to old ways? Either way I was back to pacing the floor for the second half of Saturday and in fact gave up and turned over before the end. That said second in the Championship feels about right for where that England team is right now..we still have two years to the RWC!!!!

Poor old Ireland must be the most disappointed. I am not sure I know when they were last so low in the table, but I am sure they did not expect to be there this year. Still room for improvement and maybe some new faces.


So now we march into a Lions summer. I wonder whose star will ascend in Australia?



No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.