Tuesday 19 March 2013

Networking is great!! Long live networking!!



I think networking is great. You get to meet interesting people, finding stimulating subjects to discuss and explore and make new friends. Oh yes, and sometimes you find you are not alone, not the only crazy one with an idea.

Of course it helps if you like and are interested in people, but that is not a problem for me. I am someone who could happily sit outside a Parisienne cafe or beach bar and while away hours watching the people around me.

Recently at a networking event I was introduced to a new contact. We only spoke briefly, but he contacted me afterwards asking to meet. In truth I expected it would be one of the normal "sales" meetings where I would be pumped for contacts and opportunities at the company I am working for.

It was a pleasant surprise to then have a meeting where he seemed more interested in me than the company and in fact we easily roamed across a variety of subjects, finding both common ground and new ideas.

I was still not sure how this would pan out but he soon contacted me again saying that his "Board" would like to meet me. That was arranged and he arrived with three very experienced and interesting people. I won't embarass them by naming them (well unless someone asks me), but against their demonstrable career achievements, mine seemed very humble. That said we spent a good hour exchanging experiences, testing common ground and pushing out some ideas. I think I held my own and found it encouraging to find some like-minds when it comes to the limitations found in the industrial delivery of change and the need for agility and judgement when leading organisations and change these days.

At one point we talked about the need to focus on outcomes and benefits rather than just measure (and reward) activity. In financial services I have seen many twists and turns in the area of business measurement and have long been concerned that we are a) wasting time building an industry to collect information that adds no value than justify someone's being and bonus claim and b) are not measuring the things that really make business successful and live worth living.

One of my guests followed this up with a mail and link to one of his network connections, well more to her work as I have not connected with her. She runs TheHaloWorks which has questioned the old adage that "what gets measured, gets done" and instead focuses on benefits. As readers of other posts will know, I feel quite passionate about focussing on benefits in a change programme and on "feel, not formula" in how I catalyse the change process. I do not know the Halo Process, but suspect I would like it!

I was particularly caught by the last few words on the first page I was sent that read, "move to an 'Halo' approach using a trust model". This again resonated loud and clear as again readers will know that I have seen and reported on the disastrous loss of trust within financial services organisations - something I doubt can be fixed given the current regulatory regime and public outcry. That said we should try and it is newer companies that offer the best hope.

Rather than ramble on any further I will commend a look at Halo for anyone interested in running the human side of business and or change, for those interested in engagement (staff or clients). I also plan to see if I can in the networking spirit link "Halo" with two other of my interests - The Judgement Index - and an innovative and creative guy working in the arena of engagement called Doug Shaw.

Oh yes, I also hope that the opportunity may arise to work with "the Board" in future as I think our combination could be powerful and a lot of fun!

Viva networking

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ian - thanks for the namecheck I appreciate that. More importantly I appreciate the story. Networking often gets a bad rap - see here for an example of that:

    https://pabial.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/networking-is-going-the-way-of-the-dodo/

    Your tale is a helpful other side of the coin to Sukh's post. I'm going to check out Halo - great name! And closer to home - you and I haven't enjoyed a glass of wine together for too long now - shall we rectify that soon do you think?

    ReplyDelete

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.