Wednesday 9 May 2012

From punk to establishment in 30 years!



Now this may be a very British post in its particulars, but I hope the message is transferable and readers Will have personal examples to draw upon.
The trigger today was seeing a spiky haired, drain-pipe trousered' winkle picker shoed, rose-tinted glassed (quite literally) main sitting on the Breakfast TV couch discussing how his poetry was now part of the GCSE syllabus in our schools. He was, or should I say is, John Cooper-Clark.
The last time I saw him, in person, was the late summer of 1978 in Warrington in a dark,dingy and pretty rundown music venue. I don't recall if he was the main act, but suspect he wasn't. He stood there with plastic carrier bag of his notebooks and a can (or maybe more) of lager and launched his poetry at us. The one I recall was "Cycle Sluts" and indeed I think if he rummage in our attic I could find a 45rpm vinyl disc of that very poem.

He was less mainstream, or successful, than the Sex Pistols and other punk bands, though I seem to remember him appearing on Top Of The Pops at least once, albeit with the language made acceptable for the TV standards of the time.
His poetry had a topicality and irreverance along with a rhythm of delivery that appealed, sort of like (and I am sure I will be shot down for this) an early form of white rapping.
While writing this, the parallel of Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols, arguably the leaders of anarchic punk, advertising butter amuses me. He has been doing that for a couple of years now and probably made some marketing man's name. He was accused of selling out, but denies it and more recently has refused to reform the band to be part of the closing ceremony of the London Olympics.
So while Johnny R has joined the establishment he does not see his work doing so, John CC is finding his worked embraced and appreciated; 30+ years on and he is now a studied poet. I think I will go and find that record and maybe even look up more of his work.....who knows, my daughter might approve.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.