Thursday 17 May 2012

Credit where credit is due!!!

 

For once I am not talking about the financial crisis when I headline with "credit", but rather wanted to draw out two examples of good service I have received.

The first illustrates the power for first impressions, particularly good ones and the second shows the value of putting things right well if you do get it wrong to start with.

The other day I went to meet with the Director of an agency placing interim managers, called Green Park. I had never been there before and the building where it was located was just a normal multi-occupancy office block in central London. The difference was when I entered the companies suite. The lady behind the desk, Emma Payne, came to greet me with a smile and a warm greeting (words and body language). My needs were sorted in that my wet umbrella was taken, I was asked if I wanted refreshment, seated in a comfortable room and advised of who was coming and that they were on their way.

This may not sound remarkable, but as I have seen too many of these receptions recently I know that the whole package and its impact was exceptional. By contrast another, bigger agency I visited mid-afternoon one day, had an unattended reception desk with just a notice saying to go to a door down the corridor. At the door there were no more instructions and when I enquired someone looked up from a desk, took the name of the person I was due to meet and advised me to go and sit back down near the front door. After that I was treated well by the subsequent people I met, but you can see the difference between the first impressions.

I have subsequently written to Emma and her CEO commenting how welcoming I thought she was and how good an impression it created.

The second is more a story of recovery. I will name the company again as in my opinion they have saved the day and deserve recognition for that; it was Lloyds Bank. I have been a customer for over 35 years and my wife was staff for 13.

A few weeks ago I lost my mobile phone on a rail journey. I can pin down the 5 minutes I lost it in as I changed trains and suspect that it just fell from my pocket. I immediately cancelled the SIM and phone with the company (Vodafone: who also did very well in terms of customer service related to this) and notified the relevant lost property services. I had fair hope that it would be found and returned, though I know that the wheels of the lost property process can take some time to turn.

Three weeks later I was advised that lost property did not have my phone so I looked to my Bank with whom I have integrated mobile phone insurance with my bank account service charge. I phoned, advised of my claim and the basic details which was all lodged and a claim form sent.

This I returned only to be advised by return mail, by the separate(?) company handling the insurance, that as I had not made my claim within 48 hours of the loss (read the small print!), my claim could not be processed. This seemed petty so I wrote back pointing out that I felt I had been prudent and reasonable in my behaviour, not making a claim until it was clear the phone would not be returned. I acknowledged the small print, but questioned how familiar the man in the street woudl be about a term such as that in a product he signed up for years ago?

Once again I quickly received the equivalent of a "computer says no" response citing the 48 hour clause again. This time I wrote directly to Llloyds Bank's Complaints Department, acknowledging the small print, but pointing out my longstanding business with the Bank and my prudent and reasoanble behaviour.

The response took a couple of days longer, but yesterday Harriet called me from the claims handling group, advised me that they have accepted my claim, needed a little more information which I provided and within 4 hours of the first call, I was advised that a new phone was despatched and should be with me within 1-3 days.

While I do not have the phone yet, I do feel that Lloyds Bank saved the day. Of course it shouldn't have happened that way, but when you do need to fix something, do it quickly and well and a lot of the lost ground can be recovered!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.