Tuesday 3 December 2013

Renewed Faith in the Big Issue


For some years I have been a supporter of the Big Issue and its work. My wife will tell you that I usually buy a copy of the Big Issue when I see it, always paying a little more than the cover price. I like the fact that their "clients" are held to a code of conduct and are working to help themselves.

While I do try and spread my purchases around there are inevitably some vendors I buy from more than others. One have seen in the City selling at the same pitch for four or five years and I started wondering whether selling the Big Issue had become an easy option, a habit maybe even an addiction in some way. What was going to move him up the next step to re-establishing himself in society. I once voiced these concerns to a member of the Big Issue management team and they confessed that this was something that worried them.

So yesterday it was with some joy (yes, I said joy!) that as I bought a copy from another (regular) vendor near Liverpool Street Station he told me that he had just three weeks left. There was a twinkle in his eye as he told me that next year he would be sweeping streets and that then he wanted to go on to be bus driver. He told me that one of the street sweepers around Liverpool Street had "got him in".

He told me he had been selling the Big Issue for two years and that was enough. I have seen him out there is the cold and wet, day after day. Always polite.

I have no idea how much the Big Issue staff helped him and how much was his own doing, but on the whole the experience and opportunity seems to have helped this man. I have no idea of his back story, I would not presume to intrude, but I felt so pleased that he was so happy to have job. Now sweeping streets is not what everyone would aspire to, but I say "Good on you and good luck".

When I see a street sweeper next year I expect I will check and see if it is him. Either way it has renewed my faith in the Big Issue. It may not be able to help everyone and it may have become entangled in scandals about Roma's taking over pitches, but if it helps some like this man then it is worth supporting - and it is a good read!

I commend you to look again at the Big Issue vendor you see in the street, someone you may have stopped noticing, and ask yourself if you can help with a purchase. Similarly maybe look more benevolently on the street sweeper that is easily overlooked and consider how this job may be part of a long hard journey for him (or her). A smile might just lift their day and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.