Tuesday 31 December 2013

It Is A Pleasure To Challenge Conventional Wisdom

I don't often post twice in a day, but I felt this warranted capturing.

The conventional wisdom in cities like London is not to give to the people one sees begging on the streets. The arguments range from "all your doing is paying for their drug habit" to "they are professional beggars who send the money home" and all points in between. I think that this one-size-fits-all thinking is dangerous and instead prefer to use my own judgment.

I have long supported the Big Issue and its vendors and while not adopting any of them I have favoured a few with my custom. As I have blogged already my faith in that effort has been reinforced with the movement of Eddie who was my local vendor onto a new job as a road sweeper in the New Year. When he told me the news it was with happiness and pride in his voice and it moved me more than a little.

So to today, New Year's eve. It is a wet miserable day in London and as I walked out to get some lunch I passed a young man (20's I guess) sitting with his dog sheltering under plastic sheeting. To be fair he was not begging, but just sitting there. I decided spontanteously to give him a few quid and when I did he thanked me profusely.

I walked on, but my mind was caught up thinking that on a day like this he would not be sitting there for fun. I was also very aware how lucky I am with a house and family to go home to and, for now at least, no real money or health worries. I then decided that I would go one step further and as I ordered my take-out hamburger I ordered a second. This was from one of the better burger chains and I was not sure what he would like. I went for a simple classic burger for him and then sat and waited.

About fifteen minutes later my order was ready and I walked out with two burgers, one for me and one I hoped he would accept and enjoy. As I approached him I reached into the bag and pulled out the box and offered it to him. Being a Brit I apologised, of course, that it was just a basic, classic burger, but hoped he would enjoy it.

Well his eyes lit up as he took the box, you could have seen his smile a mile away. He thanked me profusely again saying that a burger was burger. He then opened the box and saw what was inside - a really good 6 oz burger in a nice bun and if it is possible his smile was even brighter.

As I walked away I looked back and he was immediately eating the burger and I felt I could hear his pleasure. I have no idea when he last ate, but I am glad that I followed my instinct and decided to "give" to this man today. I found I had a lump in my throat as I re-entered the office and even now as I write this I feel quite emotional.

I did not give to him to make me feel good, but rather in recognition of how lucky I am and that I can afford to give back to those less fortunate. That said it is good to give and I feel a better person for doing so.

Whether I will see him again I have no idea. I am not aware of seeing him before so on Thursday when I am back in the office he may well be gone, but that does not distract from the act nor will it discourage me from exercising my judgement again in the future. This does not make me an easy touch for any beggar, but it does confirm that I am a feeling and compassionate being. It does not harm to remind oneself of this every now and then in this increasingly uncaring world.

So I sign off 2013 feeling rather emotional, but also rather pleased. I hope to build upon this in 2014 and commend any reader who feels personally fortunate to consider how they might help at least one other person in the coming weeks and months.

Happy New Year one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.