Friday 20 December 2013

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Counting One's Blessings

I blogged yesterday about my visit to New York last weekend with my wife and daughter. This is a trip we have done a number of times though this year there was a question whether my daughter would come given she is now 18. Indeed the same question was asked about our holiday to Santorini and I hate to count the number of times either or both my wife and daughter stated "they were not going if 'she' was!" In the end both trips happened with a full complement and we're successful. That does not mean there were not a few incidents, but they were rare.

Anyway, back to their purpose of the post. I was asked what was best about the trip to New York and I replied that I just enjoyed it when my family, small as it is, is together. I also realised that it is only when on holiday or trips like this last one that we ever breakfast together. Our various work and until recently school times meant it was rare to start the day together and indeed my wife and daughter don't rate breakfast and often skip it.

So for a week of hotel breakfasts on holiday and a variety of locations in New York we ate and started our days together. In New York it could be as simple as a cream cheese toasted bagel and coffee or the more complete range of options at Ellen's Stardust Diner (where talented would-be Broadway artists serve and entertain as you eat - highly recommended by this family!), but it contributed to my enjoyment of the trip.

Now on most trips my wife has collected something from Tiffany's and indeed this time we did look, but we left without the turquoise bag - maybe next time.

Last evening I took to my bed immediately on returning home. I had a stinking cold and felt lousy. I was in bed for 12 hours asleep for most of it, but there were occasions when I woke and heard "happy" sounds from downstairs and indeed heard my daughter singing. I remember smiling as I listened.

These are the moments to remember and treasure. They are what I strive for as a father and a husband. I suspect and indeed I know that there are times when others think I come up short, but while I can build this sort of memory then I can't be doing all bad. We should all count our blessings wherever they come from and however you count them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.