Thursday 6 September 2012

Who wants a "Solutioneer"?

There was a question on LinkedIn that built upon an article about crazy job titles. Examples given included Red Cliff Defender (no, I have no idea what that is), Jedi technologist and Queen of Quantum Possibilities.

I offered up Corridor Warrior, which was my play on road warrior, except I was perpetually mobile in one building.

More seriously this resonated as in my recent search for work I realised that unless you offered the recruiter or agency a standard job title, they found it easier to pass you over for someone who did.

At the same time, with the growing importance of self-branding and networking, one needs a quick way to convey what you do in a memorable way.

I can and do call myself a programme manager on my CV, but that is only part of what I do. When I look at my skills and strengths I tend to see the bigger picture, solve problems and shape change, especially more complex change. While these are true, they are not interesting or easy to deliver.

I currently work in change management, but actually prefer the name of a previous group I belonged to called Business Solutions.

This brought me to the term "Solutioneer" and is a combination of, at least in my mind that I tend to pioneer new solutions. I guess I could have gone with "piolution" instead but that seemed to close to pollution!

I am now letting the idea settle, but I can see a new business card.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.