Tuesday 21 August 2012

Smart design is great!

I have always liked smart design ie a product that clearly demonstr. ates that the designer has really thought about what they have created. It should appeal visually and be "useful" as defined by the consumer.

The other day my teenage daughter was making a meal and needed to measure outa  quantity of hot liquid, water or milk I think. The usual measuring jug has you pouring in from the top and trying to watch graduations up the side of the container. you can watch your pouring and make sure you don't spill or you can check the quantity on the side. It is difficult to do both. How often have I overfilled and had to the pour out small quantities as I home in on the right volume. In this instance my daughter called in my wife to help so there was a little family bonding benefit.

 I thought nothing more until I saw the following item in one of our stores and I had to buy it.


This twisted cup is a measuring container with the graduations (three scales) visible from above ie you can watch as you pour the liquid and stop when you have enough. The deisgner has clearly understood a problem and created an innovation and attractive solution.

I am not sure my daughter appreciated this purchase, but it is now in our kitchen cupboard and we will see how often it is used.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.