Friday 3 August 2012

Finally satisfied......I think.


Some time ago I read some stuff about branding, particularly the importance of personal branding. I had previously established a personal services company and played around with some branding and a website, but I knew it was not good enough.

I decided to use the personal brand IanJSutherland as it seemed no one else used it, despite "Ian Sutherland" being far more popular than I suspect my parents expected. I gathered email address and domain names and started playing with various visual elements - I think I have previously confessed to being something of a frustrated designer.

I have some software from Serif (good value for money!!!) that helps me draw, play with images and build web sites. I have experimented for a while and tried a number of looks and feels, but was not really happy. That is until I settled on the look below which I have just implemented. The image shows a page from the website www.ianjsutherland.com and the front and back of a set of business cards I have ordered. The QR code allows a scanner to extract full contact details.

I have also re-established a personal services company, primarily to support my consulting in the change space, but I do have other ideas. Again I had played with visual elements and did settled on a set of business cards with a "shield" design, but otherwise fairly minimalistic. The reveres is the rune Jera which stands for a year or a cycle or completeness. I just liked having something that could prompt conversation.

I have now built a website in a similar style www.kellian.com and I am pretty happy with the look.Again a fairly simple approach.

I know I will be adding stuff to the sites and suspect I may tinker with the words at times, but I think I am pretty satisfied with the overall look and feel and plan to let them settle now.

The question remains whether to move this blog under the IanJSutherland brand as I do have that blog for use. I have already endeavoured to change the colouring to match in and with last month notching up over 2,500 page loads and now approaching almost 20,000 in total, it feels the right think to do. I won't do more with "tales....", but I could do more with "IanJSutherland".

We shall see.









No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.