Thursday 26 April 2012

OMG Do I have "erotic capital" I never knew about?




Last night I found myself speechless..... which is a rare event for me. Let me tell you why but first a little background.
The other day there was an article on a news site I read entitled "It's OK for women to use 'erotic capital' at work". This argued that men have long used whatever assets they possess to get on at work so why shouldn't women.
Against that background I found myself at a networking event last night. I was in smart casual attire as I had been in a workshop earlier. This comprised a fine wool round neck sweater over a tailored shirt and trousers. There was of course the obligatory name tag that I pinned over my left breast.
I found myself talking with a couple of guys when one waved over an antipodean lady who works in communication and staff engagement. She was bubbly, easy to talk too and stood at about 5'3" ( that is relevant ).
She was dressed (and please forgive my poor fashion vocabulary) in a silky mauve top that had a low, but not too low neck. She had placed he name tag in the centre front of her neckline, if you can picture that. There was absolutely nothing risqué about it, but one of the guys commented in jest that she really shouldn't have put the tag there. He admitted he was finding his eyes drawn to the tag and it's location.
The lady admitted that she placed it there intentionally, not wanting to pin through the fabric of her top. This was the point I was reminded about the article I mentioned above. It was also the point at which she left me speechless.
She calmly said, "And I am being distracted by Ian's nipple poking through his sweater".
I can honestly say that no one has ever said that to me before. How does one respond?
I briefly stood with my arms crossed, palms covering my nipples, but in the end I just smiled, relaxed and carried on. It did however set me thinking and I wonder how conscious I will be in future attending such events without the defensive guard of a formal jacket?
So back to the title of the post, maybe I have some "erotic capital" - even at my advancing age - that I should be more aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.