Monday 16 April 2012

London & Mumbai

When I as in India last time we travelled by taxi in Mumbai and experiencing e traffic was an eye-opener. At one junction it just snarled up with taxis, motorbikes, buses and any other road user inching forward in their chosen direction until they escaped he melee. It reminded me of organised chaos in that there were no collisions that I could see, not co-ordinated strategy, yet eventually everyone got where they wanted.

This evening as I walked to the train I crossed the junction of London Wall and Bishopsgate. The traffic behaviour here reminded me of Mumbai. Of course there were traffic lights and the junction learned a little quicker, but the lines cut by individual cars, bikes (pedal and motorised) and buses had more than an Indian flavour.

Of course there were no cows in London,but it made me wonder; we used to say that what happened in the US arrived in the UK within ten years eg malls, out of town shopping, TGIF, etc, but I wonder if we should now look East or a glimpse of the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.