Sunday 2 October 2011

Well worth watching if you are interested in education in the UK

As a parent of a teenager, questions about how they are educated often dominate life. At the same time one is often exposed to television of questionable quality. It is therefore very interesting to come across an informative gem on Channel 4.

This discovery was the result of a brief conversation with my daughter's deputy Head Master who told us he had been watching "Educating Essex", a new documentary about an Essex Secondary School focusing on Year 11. His interest hinged on the reported parallels between the main character and himself; both are well-liked, history teaching, full characters.

I was curious to check the parallels, but also fearful that this would be another low-quality, docu-drama like "The Only Way Is Essex". I am very glad to say that "Educating Essex" is, in my opinion, good TV.

In the two episodes I have seen, the Deputy Head Master, Mr Drew, comes across very well as he enforces uniform rules, deals with bullying (cyber and personal), while engaging with the pupils and, in large part, gaining their respect. I know that aspects of the show have drawn criticism from parts of the media and educational purists, but it feels to me as a viewer that the staff have found an appropriate balance for the population they are serving. Education is a very different game from when I and other parents were in uniform and while we can try and hold onto how we were taught, it is clear that children these days are rather different, being better informed, less fearful of authority, hooked on mobile phones and more materialistic.

As a result the way we parent is different and so does teaching need to be. The senior staff show they are strong when they need to be, dealing with issues with skill and sensitivity, yet can also relax when that is more suitable. Knowing this is TV and subject to editing in hindsight, I certainly watched with admiration as the issue of bullying was dealt with.

I do like the Head Master's mantra about every child leaving with the necessary qualifications for their next step. It sets a tone upon which everything else is built.

The programmes are currently available on 4OD ( www.4OD.com ). If you are a parent of a teenager, as I am, I commend investing a few hours to watch this show.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.