Wednesday 23 March 2011

Where do you leave your footprints in the sands of time?




Something happened today that set me thinking about where we leave marks that live on without us. I am not being morbid, but, "yes" including after you die.

The news today was from a friend and colleague in the US who consults in organisational design. Last year she asked if she could use the PARTNER model I created for a talk I gave, and use it with one of her clients. The did "americanise" one aspect, but that was all.

I was happy to think that it had been useful and thought no more about it. Neither it seems did my friend; until today, that is.

Today she was visiting her client to plan their next retreat and found that they have made laminated cards with the model on and keep it with them, using it to evaluate new opportunities. Not only that, but some other organisations are asking to see their model!

Well we all know the longevity of those laminates, so, having been cited as the author, my name will live on in the US mid-west for some time - chuckles. And I have never visited there!

While musing about this I was reminded of an incident nearly 30 years ago. I was a wet behind the ears, newly appointed officer of Bank of America, in my first role after training. I was sent to San Francisco and fortunately was bumped up to first class. Well if it is going to happen, better on a long flight to make it worthwhile.

I sat next to an elegant American lady. She was older than me, but I will say no more in case I get the age wrong. Let it suffice to say she was a successful headhunter and we had a very pleasant journey with, as I recall, some interesting conversation and some laughs.

When our journey ended she gave me a card and took details of where I was staying. I think she said we should have lunch, but I doubt I expected it to happen.

It did. We arranged lunch and I told my hosts who were immediately envious. The venue was an exclusive ladies' club in San Francisco called, I think, The Athenium. Men were only allowed in by invitation and my American colleagues had long wanted and frequently tried to get invited, but all had failed. And then this young Brit flies in and is invited in days!

Well it did my rep no harm and it was a very enjoyable lunch. The memory and the story lives with me as does the lady's name, Laverne Cislo.

I never visited San Francisco again or had any contact with my hostess, but the episode left a lasting and endearing memory with me and now, thanks to the Internet and whatever archives feed off this blog, Laverne's name will live on as an electronic footprint in a place I doubt she ever expected. Thank you.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.