Tuesday 1 March 2011

Recession? What recession?

Today I started a new role working in Canary Wharf, London. This is reclaimed and redeveloped old docklands to the east of London and now home to Banks like HSBC, Citi, Barclays and, in the past, Lehmans.

In my 30+ years working in London I have never, until today, worked there. I did visit a number of years back when many of the buildings had been constructed, but few businesses were there. It was a bit like a deserted urban science fiction set, but without the weeds that are usually spread around. It felt, harsh, cold and a little dangerous.

In interviewing for this job i visited the area a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to see it heaving with humanity; well dressed, generally happy and showing no signs of recession. Just tonight I walked past the Tiffany shop to get my train!

It certainly feels as if most of HSBC's 307,000 staff ( as reported in The Times this morning ) are working there.

Another first today was to travel via Stratford - I have spent the last 20 years travelling via Liverpool Street. As I alighted at Stratford I was faced with the new Westfield shopping centre, which is due to open in five months and is reported to be the biggest shopping centre in western Europe.

My next eye-opener was how big Stratford station is now with overground, underground and DLR tracks. Of course I have to walk the maximum distance to make my connection. As I write this, I recall I did visit Stratford nearly 25 years ago to interview with Manufacturers Hanover Bank. My recollection was just of a run down site, poorly lit and on a mega-roundabout. My, how it has changed!

The DLR then took past the site of the London Olympics for 2012. This was a hive of activity with arc welders flashing all over and mounds of top soil being "shifted" by great earth movers onto waiting trains.

So I ask again, recession, what recession. There doesn't seem to be much of it on my new route.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.