Friday 4 March 2011

iPad 2 - something of a let down!!!!

I have been an iPad convert since buying mine in mid-2010. I largely live with it, being mobile and virtually paperless.

I certainly don't regret talking the advice to buy the max memory and 3G. The argument was that you can't upgrade it so buy the best you can at the start. I have tried about four different covers and still not found my ideal. I have currently settled on a black leather Griffin cover that just folds over, but what I want is something more like the zip around folder I used with a paper pad that was also capable of holding some business cards, a pen, and other materials or even better the one I had with my Ipaq.

Ideally I would like a folde that when opened had the iPad on the left and the ability to have a small paper pad and some pockets for business crds etc on the right - oh yes, and a pen. Even better would be to have a sensitive pad that could be drawn upon and the image captured on the iPad - again much like smartInk did with the Ipaq.

Anyway I digress, I feel the iPad 2 is a disappointment. Looking at the enhancements it is not enough to make me want to buy one again.
  • Do I want a White one? Not that much.
  • Is the new cover, neat as it is, that much better than I am using nd warrant buying again? No.
  • Do I want/need two video cameras in it? No I wanted the ability to attached an external webcam like device which would make it more usable in my opinion.
  • Do I need a faster processor? No, this is perfectly good.
  • Is it worth buying a new one to get a thinner, slightly lighter device? Again, no.
So I am missing any feeling of compulsion to upgrade(?).


What I would have liked and might have tempted me would have been an improved battery life, a USB port that could have opened the way for additional devices and maybe a SD card slot.

Of course I can see commercially why Apple would not add ways to increase the device's storage capacity as there would be a reduced need to buy the bigger machines, but still I think they have missed a trick.

I know that some people wanted/hoped for an improved screen, but a) I am happy enough with this one and b) it hasn't come anyway.

Maybe iPad 3 will bring enough to tempt me or more likely coincide with a failing battery in my current machine, but I guess we will have to wait noter year. Let's hope we are not disappointed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.