Monday 10 January 2011

EMA-I #3 - What makes a Change Agent - Posted 5/1/11













They do say that often less is more, and I think that this post may conform to that wisdom.

In this, the third entry of my week, I wanted to share something that I came across in mid-2010, though it was originally written over 10 years ago. I came across a reference to this work on a LinkedIn discussion thread and was so taken by the intent and content that I just had to go look it up.

To cut a long story short, a lady called Cathy Perme works out of the mid-West in the United States, in organisational development. She has run her own business for 20 years and in that time produced newsletters that have included interesting articles.

The piece that caught my eye was under the heading “you know you are a change agent when……”. In response someone quoted Cathy’s “Anatomy of a Change Agent,” which I have lifted directly from Cathy’s work and included below.

When I read it, I found it resonating strongly, and it gave words to much that I feel and believe. If there is a single thing I would change it would just be the word “scut” as I am not sure how international it is. My understanding of that term is the detailed, maybe hard and dirty work that needs doing sometimes e.g. roll your sleeves up and get on with it.

The Anatomy of a Change Agent

  • A CLEAR MIND, one that is not cluttered with unresolved issues or unexamined motives.
  • EYES that can see beyond today.
  • EARS that can listen to other points of view.
  • A NOSE that can sense opportunities and timing.
  • A MOUTH that can speak out with honesty and respect.
  • A HEART that can feel others’ pain and respond with compassion.
  • A FIRE IN THE BELLY – a sense of passion and responsibility that makes one want to rise each morning.
  • SKILLFUL HANDS that can do scut work as well as strategy.
  • LIGHT FEET that can move swiftly when the timing is right.
  • The SOUL OF A WARRIOR, with a deep sense of honor, perseverance, and patience, along with the willingness to act decisively.
I am not sure I could or would want to improve that succinct description so in this instance I leave it with the reader to digest and decide how useful it is. Instead I will leave you with the closing words of that article.

“There are real change agents working everyday in our organizations and communities. Being a change agent is not about personality. It’s not about leadership style. It is about awareness, conviction, humanity, and courage.”

If you want to read more you can find Cathy’s trove of newsletters at www.cmperme.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.