Sunday 11 August 2013

Having a rethink about Mr Depp.



Strangely and to her mother's mystification one of the things my daughter and I share is Doctor Who. There are a few more for another day, maybe, but they include Deep Purple and Hawaii Five-O

Regarding Dr Who, I used to watch it as a kid - in black and white. I was THAT kid who hid behind the sofa when the Daleks came on, but I seem to recall the scariest for me were the cybermen.

Anyway when the new run started I watched them all and my daughter started to too. It seems that many of her friends did also. In recent years it has been a fixed date for us to watch Dr Who, live if possible, and if not then as soon as possible.

Ellen and her friends exchange text messages as the plots unfold and comment/rate an episode at the end. Fortunately neither of us go to the extreme of conventions or dressing up in character, but she has been enthralled with each change of Doctor. The latest one was no exception.

I think it fair to say that that particular jury is still out over the choice of Peter Capaldi. I am rather more optimistic, but only time will tell.

Before the announcement I had been thinking about who else might fit the role and quite liked the idea of Jonny Depp. Part of me still does, but having seen The Lone Ranger on Friday and being gently amused I am wondering if Mr Depp can pick up the pace at all. It seems as if Captain Jack Sparrow, Willy Wonka and Tonto all have something of the humour and quirkiness required for Dr Who, but all lack the energy and pace that also plays a key part in the Doctor's character.

I would certainly be interested to see Jonny screen test for the Doctor and I think that it would be an interesting development for him as an actor. Who knows (pun intended!), maybe next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.