Thursday 8 August 2013

A sad sign of the times

I am a man of a certain age who feels he is well behaved and safe to leave with young children, but it seems that the modern world puts every man, no matter who he is, under suspicion.

The incident that triggered this post happened this morning as I walked to the station. I walk down a wide open road in broad daylight at around 7:30. While it is not busy there are houses down both side and small but regular flow of cars, cyclists, runners, dog walkers and other commuters walking the same route as me. There is no record of trouble and I think it is very safe (as am I).


This morning I was walking down the left hand side when I heard some footsteps behind me (I am one of those who doesn't keep earphones in as I walk!). I looked back and about 20 yards behind me was a young woman. I will guess she was mid-to-late twenties, around 5'10" in flat shoes and dressed in business attire.

I didn't look back any more but heard her cross to the right hand side of the road. She was walking faster than me and gradually passed me, me on the left, she on the right; in doing so she passed a dogwalker. I did wonder why she crossed over? If she was going to the station like me then teh shortest route would be to stay on the left like me.

I watched her draw ahead and watched when she had 20 yards on me, yes you guessed, she crossed back onto the left and carried walking in froont of me all the way to the station.

I can only conclude that she crossed the road to avoid walking up to me and passing on the same pavement. So how does this make me feel? Well I am not quite sure, but I know it makes me feel uneasy.

In part I am angry that someone should judge it necessary. I am also sad that the world has come to this. Had it been a cold dark night with poor lighting and no others around I could have understood it, but at 7:30 in broad daylight with the normal population moving around it annoys me that anyone should feel they needed to do it with me as the other party.

OK rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.