Friday 5 July 2013

Not A Bad Week!

I am currently sitting in beautiful morning sun on the sea front in North Devon. Shortly I will go a visit an old boss who lives not far from here and then back to this foreshore to play our annual golf competition - The Curry Cup. This year we are playing at Royal North Devon Golf Club before the traditional curry this evening. I hope to avoid the vindaloo this time - the losers prize(!?!?!).

I drove down yesterday and joined the guys for a practice round. It was a long drive from London taking around 6 hours, albeit with two stops. I set of to cloudy sky and light drizzle finally seeing the first patch of blue sky around Bristol. I then when through three bands of rain before reaching Westward Ho! and blue sunny skies.

Yesterday's golf was not bad but there was a breeze. Today there is less wind!

On Tuesday I was running a session at the Henley Management course for HR Directors of a Chinese company with over half a million employees. It was my first experience of working with simultaneous translation. I was there for over three hours and was quite drained at the end. I did learn that there is no such thing as "one last quick question" in China. When this was asked at different points by the course director it resulted in one of delegates standing up and talking earnestly at me for over two minutes in Chinese. I, of course, had no idea what was being said and had to wit for the translation. This took another minute or two and usually started with "I have three questions...."!!!

The feedback from the Henley session seems to have been good so hopefully I will be invited back to do more.

So the week draws to an end with golf coming up and the video of my comedy standup showcase should arrive any day. I wonder if my wife will appreciate the concept of "comedic value"?


No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.