Wednesday 6 February 2013

The Seat Hog - my pet hate!


I guess we all have our pet hates. I think I am more tolerant than many, but this morning I was reminded of one of mine - the seat hog!

I have been commuting for over 30 years, most of that using trains (under and over ground). Most travellers are civil and considerate even when carriages get crowded and uncomfortable. At the busiest times there are never enough seats so we all make the best of the situation. Well most of us do.

This morning I alighted onto a roughly half full carriage. I prefer to sit in an aisle seat as my wider than average frame is not then pinned in both sides. There was a four seat set, occupied by two unrelated people. The window seat on one side was occupied by a young girl and the aisle seat opposite her by a man with his head buried in some game her was playing on his mobile phone. He had his bag placed on the window seat beside him and his feet resting on the aisle seat opposite.

My polite "excuse me" was met by a begrudging glare and a reluctant movement of his feet. It was as if I was a piece of **** and how dare I interrupt his game and ask for access to one of the three seats he was in command of.

Well he did move and I sat down ensuring that I took all, but no more than the 25% of the space in that set that was related to my seat. His head seemed to go further into his phone. I don't think it was Angry Birds but rather some bubble bursting challenge that he was playing.

As similar scene played out at the next stop when a girl dared to ask to get by and use the window seat beside him - remember the one his bag was occupying. With a huff and a glare he picked his bag up and shuffled across to the window seat, before pricking balloons some more.

When we reached our terminus and all got off he still appeared unhappy that the world ie another commuter and I had dared to intrude on the three seats his single ticket had paid for!!!

Ho hum. This post has been rather cathartic and it is out of my system - until the next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.