Tuesday 17 July 2012

I see things!!!!

This is nothing as dramatic as the film "The Sixth Sense" in which the young boy saw dead people, but rather the result of an exercise I did with the learning set I belong to. I mention it here because the results resonated with some feedback I had recently received and all-in-all it set me thinking. That is enough reason to record it here.

A friend brought along and led us through an exercise called GRRAAACCEEESSS. The initials stand for
  • Gender
  • Race
  • Religion
  • Age
  • Ability
  • Class
  • Culture
  • Ethnicity
  • Education
  • Sexuality
  • Spirituality

I suspect we only scratched the surface, but the question posed was to consider how one differed from the group's we operate in and with that awareness consider how that difference impacts on interactions.

We then as a group shared our thoughts and insights.

For me, I focussed on three aspects. The first was pertinent to the group and that all my experience was within Financial Services and none was in HR. This gives me a different perspective on some matters, both in terms of my contribution and my take-aways.

The next two were more interesting. I am not small. At 6'3" and an ex rugby lock forward who is no sylph I have a significant physical presence. I have a strong voice, am typically an extrovert and a lot of self confidence. My wife has also commented how I "puff up" when I talk about something I am interested/passionate about. "Puff up" are her words, and she has explained this a sitting up straighter, shoulders back, chest expanded, voice levels rise, etc.. This discussion with my wife has been about experiences at interviews recently and have a particular relevance as that enlarged presence could be (and I suspect at times is) intimidating to interviewers.

The last relates to my skill/ability/curse (if you like) to determines patterns in data and behaviour and extrapolate the future implications and outcomes of these far more rapidly that most people I meet. I think it would be described as having a strategic, big-picture view of the world around me and the actions of others. This is not a conscious thing, it is just something I do. I only half joke about the curse aspect, because it can be difficult and frustrating to see things others have not seen yet and may not be ready to discuss or appreciate. On the plus side it does permit me to design and orchestrate complex change.

The next aspect was to consider if these "differences" were readily visible or invisible and whether they had been vocalised with the other parties - especially relevant when first meeting people such as interviews.

The physical presence aspect is definitely visible! I can't lose 6 inches from my height, but I can be more aware of my actions and the reaction of others. I can learn to control the puffing and maybe the vocal elements, but I am wary of trying to make myself something I am not - I doubt that will be useful in the long run.

The ability to see things is where I am thinking hardest. Again being aware helps, but additionally I will be looking for better ways to use that ability and contribute it to discussion.

This is not the end, but rather just part of a journey. I would suggest to readers that they too might want to consider how they differ from the groups they belong to and how that may impact on their effectiveness. I cannot promise total enlightenment, but I suspect you will find something interesting in the exercise.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.