Saturday 21 July 2012

Between a rock and a hard place

Sometimes we find ourselves in a situation where doing the right thing may be wrong....or maybe not. I am in one of those now and writing this may be my only outlet. The situation is that a friend of my wife has had a recurrence of cancer. This is after beating the first round six years ago. He has a wife and young family and his doctors are not offering much hope here. His wife has researched and been in contact with a Mexican clinic in Tijuana called the Oasis of Hope run by a Dr Contreras. There they offer alternative therapy using treatments that are banned in the US (and I guess the Uk). She is convinced that this is the answer for him and the family is, with some embarrassment, trying to raise £40,000 to send him there and have asked family and friends to help. That said he has blood clots and won't be able to travel until the end of the year anyway. As is my way, I did some research on this clinic and it's offering and hence my dilemma. From what I can see there is little positive comment online about this clinic or the treatment. The general sense seems to be that while the care may be good (there are some questions here) they are more concerned and maybe only interested when you have money to pay their apparently large bills. A number complain that their attention and care evaporates when you have no money. In terms of the treatment, the explanations make sense to someone like me, but only conspiracists who believe that the US Government has banned treatments to intentionally harm its people actually try and support it. Now I now of the placebo effect and the power of hope, especially for those with no other way forward, and maybe this could fall into those categories. Certainly I would feel bad being part of taking hope away from this man and is family. So..... On the one hand my instincts and the balance of what I have found out suggests that any money raised or given will do more to increase a fraud's wealth than do anything to help a sick friend other than strip his family of any money they have. On the other hand this is giving them hope and focus and may, just may bring about some positive outcome. My dilemma is whether to say anything or not? If I do and they change their views as result then I will have taken away the main hope they have and may save them some money. If they do not believe me then I have merely damaged the relationship between my wife and this family and reduced the support they feel they have. If I say nothing, the most likely outcome is an expensive, yet I fear ultimately futile period. Also, and this may sound mean, I will feel reluctant to do as much to raise money for them......that could be awkward. So, to misquote Hamlet, "To speak or not to speak, that is the question?" Any thoughts or observations are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.