Thursday 22 December 2011

Looking forward to Christmas



This may seem corny, but I am looking forward to Christmas....probably more than in previous years. I was trying to work out why and have come to a couple of conclusions.

The first is that we have less stress this year. We, my family area staying at home and others are coming to us. It is a little flexible but we will have something like 14 people on each of Christmas Day and Boxing Day. We catered for this number not long ago after my nieces 18th birthday party so we know we can do it relatively simply. The table is big enough! The range provides enough oven and stove top capacity. We, my wife and I, can work it well between us.

On top of that, no one has been pressured to come. My nieces want to come, as do their partners. It is quite something that they all feel comfortable to come to our home and be part of the festivities. Additionally my wife's second young cousins want to come too. This to me is a large part of what Christmas is about.

My daughter has grown a lot this year and in the last couple of weeks we have seen her take part in a couple of modelling photo shoots ahead of a fashion show next year along with starting a weekend / part-time work and seems to be doing well. She has taken on additional hours over this Christmas period and is blossoming.

Another possible factor is that I have not been employed in the run up to this Christmas. In itself that is not necessarily good, but it does mean I have not been immersed in all that Christmas is the office. No big Christmas party, no relentless eating and drinking with clients and colleagues. No commercial pressures.

In short a combination of "less is more" and a maturing of family group seem to be the key factors making this Christmas feel better. I do hope it lives up to expectations, but the signs are good.

Best wishes to everyone who has read my blog this year. If I have a wish for 2012, it is that I hope this blog receives a few more comment in future, making it a little more interactive. For my part I will continue blogging about things that catch my eye, stir my imagination or just look interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.