Thursday 8 December 2011

Greater than the sum of the parts - the importance of integrity!

I am just heading home from an enjoyable and reinforcing evening with ex-colleagues. These were from one of the high performing teams I have blogged about previously. We slipped into an easy repartee and banter that lasted throughout the evening. There was a tolerance of our individual differences and a reminder of how we leveraged those same differences to create something that was greater than the sum of the parts.

In talking with a friend beforehand, I had commented that in part this great team and others hinged on the fact that the leader was comfortable in their own skin. Without this they cannot assemble the right collection of individuals and then preside over them as a team.

The other criteria came out more explicitly. It seemed that we all had someone who is/was there bĂȘte noir. For me this hinges on personal integrity ie lie to me and let me know you have lied (I am pretty smart!) and we will have problems in future. Interestingly, given we all operate in the world of financial services, there was unanimous agreement that personal integrity is the floor for building trust and being within the circle of trust. This really should not surprise me, but it does in a world where one wonders what values survive.

It fills me with a renewed optimism and a clear yardstick to use in future. As they say, "caveat emptor".

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.