Tuesday 3 May 2011

Now, the trouble with work is.........

........that it gets in the way of other interesting things! Well that is the evidence of my last two months.

I am now a third of the way through a six month contract as an interim. My blog output has noticeably dropped in that time. This is not conscious, but, I believe, a reflection on how my days are filled with other activities.

This is something I intend to rectify, but I won't force blogs when they are not ready to be captured. Since started this as a way to practice writing, I have found that "a voice" is something that flows easily; when I struggle to lay something down it is usually an indication that it is not worth or not ready for print.

That said a few things caught my attention in recent days, so I will include them here.

The first was how stunning I thought Pippa Middleton was at THE wedding. A simple, elegant sheath dress that did all the right things. At almost any other wedding she would have stolen the show from the bride. In this instance she just added to her sister's big day. Congratulations to all concerned.



The second was the IT guy who unknowingly, at least at the start, Twittered news of the American raid on Osama Bin Laden as it happened. His following has grown from a few hundred to more than 25,000 overnight.

First we live pictures of the Japanese tsunami, then we have a Royal Wedding broadcast in YouTube and that would have been a big enough step forward for most of us. But then we have a covert raid covered on Twitter that was watched via live video link by the President of the United States. The power of technology, eh? What next?

The last was something my elderly uncle said at a family party. He is in his 80's having had a rewarding career as an engineer in the oil industry. He has long since retired and clearly has a comfortable pension.

On hearing that I an currently contracting in an interim role his comment was that a man of "your age"* should be in permanent employment. He did not mean it badly, but it just showed how this country is not joined up. I then had to break it to him that final-salary pension schemes are pretty much a thing of the past, at least in the private sector. This seemed to be a surprise to him - I wonder how many other people have missed this?

* For reference, I won't see 50 again.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.