Saturday 28 May 2011

It is interesting how people identify themselves.

I am currently working in a 42 storey tower housing something like 9,000 people in a single company. Being only 12 weeks in I am still learning and meeting people. Being something of an extrovert I am not averse to speaking with strangers, but this week I had a surprise.

I am used to people identifying with their business function eg I work in accounts, or maybe by skill eg I am a trader, so when the man I met on the lifts said "I work on the 19th" it seemed strange. I had to ask what was on the "19th" admitting that I had probably only been to 7 of the 42 floors since arriving. I then received a largely incomprehensible list of acronyms and something muttered about being "in healthcare".

Maybe this mouthful of letters was why relating to the 19th was easier?

I wonder how anyone else answers the question "where do you work" when asked by a member of the same company?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.