Friday 31 October 2014

Simple Concepts Can Be So Effective

Last evening I visited the Tower of London to see The Poppies. This art installation is gradually filling the moat around the Tower with 888,246 ceramic poppies, one for each British military fatality of the First World War. Running from 5 August to the 11 November the installation commemorates 100 years from the first full day of British engagement up to armistice day. It is almost complete now and very impressive.
I arrived in time for the daily redition of The Last Post. To hear that sound floating across a crowd standing below a view that mixed old and new was extremely poignant.

If you have not see this and have a chance then I commend it. Such a simple concept, executed expertly that results in a unique and moving monument, albeit temporary.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.