Monday 9 June 2014

RWC 2015 - the run up

This is the first of what are likely to be number of rugby related posts as we start the run up to the Rugby World Cup 2015 (RWC 2015).

I am an unashamed and longstanding (long suffering?) England fan. I very nearly made it to Sydney in 2003, but was between contracts at the time and could not afford the only available route via Vladivostok.

In 2007 I made it to Paris and watched the match on the big screens under the Eiffel Tower.

So this weekend we saw England take on New Zealand in New Zealand. I was up at 8am to watch and left encouraged if not happy.

For most of my life it has appeared that even if New Zealand only fielded seven under-15 players England would still contrive a way to lose. This time though an understrength England pushed New Zealand very close only losing in the last few minutes.

Much was said that this was New Zealand's first match and they always start slow, but in the end they can only play as much as the opposition allow and England did not allow them very much.

I think the England pack shaded it with huge performances from Parling, Morgan and Rodber, not forgetting the front row. Tuilagi looked good and Eastman shows promise. Brown had something of an off day for him and Sharples still worries me. I know he has pace, but he does not work hard enough.

For example when Tuilagi made his breaks where was the man (or men) on his shoulder for any off load? There wasn't. Surely Sharples should have been. Ashton at his best is certainly there so I for one am hoping for something different next week.

Much was made, with justification of Stuart Lancaster's selection choices, particularly his faith in Freddie Burns. Burns certainly had a good game, but I do wonder what Cipriani would have done. He came on and his first move was to make a like break, albeit against some tireder players. He then kicked his first penalty. I know I said Sharples worries me, but I would like to see a little spark of flair at fly half and would like to see what Cipriani can do when he starts.

The All Blacks were rather quiet and subdued at the end. McCaw had a rather anonymous game as player and captain.

I think this augers well for next week, but then as an England fan we have said this before. Farrell, Lawes, Twelvetrees, Ashton, Care, Hartley, Vuniploa and others are back in the mix. It should make for a potent match squad.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.