Tuesday 21 January 2014

Warming From The Inside On A Cold Evening!



For some time I have been encouraging my network to consider small actions that can help those less fortunate than themselves. My suggestion initial suggestion was to use the money that they would otherwise use to buy a coffee on something different and more charitable. One option of course is to actually buy a cup of coffee and give it to someone who will appreciate it.

I recently blogged about a development of this where some coffee shops allow a customer to buy a cup of coffee "forward" ie leave a credit in place for the next person who needs a cup. I have contacted a few to see if we can't get something like that working in London.

Back to this blog though. Until yesterday I had no real idea if anyone had heard and acted on my suggestions. All I knew was what I had done (and have blogged about). I do not do it every day or even every week, but when I see a situation that I think worthy then rather than think of reason why not to, I act instead. I have not been disappointed so far.

So yesterday a contact in Linkedin mailed me and shared his recent experience. I have made a few small changes to avoid his blushes, but essentially this is his story.
I thought that you would be interested to hear my not very original, but Sutherland-inspired experience last Friday?

Having visited my favourite curry house, pre my monthly jazz dose, I realised that I was a little too light in the financial department. En route to the hole-in-the-wall I passed a guy sat out with a cup and a ruck-sack (but no dog!?) There was another guy in similar circumstances strategically placed about 10m from the cash dispenser.

The story of your experience went through my mind, the night was cold, I decided to go and purchase a couple of mugs of tea. I offered the tea & donated a couple a couple of quid to his empty cup - he was most grateful. I did the same with the other guy across the square, he too was similarly thankful.

I then went off to the jazz with a bit of a warm feeling inside, so thanks for passing on your experience - I'm sure it was appreciated and the cash not squandered on anything less savoury!
Not only did this "warm" the recipients and the donor, the story warmed me too. For my part I hope he will find himself doing it again sometime. It really feels like a win-win action.

That said I was sensitive to his last comment about how the money might be used and responded that to my mind at least the key was that he had given those two men an element of choice, which is something the rest of us can take for granted. They may make a poor decision on how they use it, but to me that is not a reason not to  try and give them a chance.

I would like to thank this friend not just for his act, but for sharing it too. I hope that in sharing it here it will inspire at least one other - and that is how we can start a chain reaction.








No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.