Monday 24 June 2013

Reaching The End Of The Comedy Roller Coaster


Until yesterday I did not realise how much of my time and thought this standup comedy thing had taken, last week more than ever.

On Saturday evening I was the openning act at the The Comedy School Student Showcase near Camden. Why I was selected to go first I don't know. It might have been a compliment about confidence or maybe that my material more suitable for a sober audience - two hours later I think alcohol was certainly contributing to the atmosphere.

On Wednesday we had been invited to an extra half hour one-to-one with our comedy coach. This was unexpected and we thought a response to the slating we had received the previous week. I tend to think now that it is fairly usual. In practice it was a "script" session, where we went over what we had written with the coach helping sharpen the material. I am still impressed how his mind works and finds the comedic value in almost anything.

He made what I though were good comments and I rewrote the material before the class next evening.

At the class we all did our pieces and then received feedback. To say we were slated again would be an understatement. This was certainly not a nurturing coach, but rather a psychological bruiser.
Maybe that is what is needed for the world of standup, but I know everyone went home somewhat deflated.

The main complaint was a lack of emotional connection and texture. For me the more I polish material the less emotion tends to be in there, so I felt conflicted. We were being taught the importance of the right words in the  right place in the right way, yet when I focussed on that I lost the rest. He kept saying that I reminded him of Patrick Moore!

As this was our last session I had drink with one of the guys, a surreal young Australian who reminds me of Noel Fielding. We talked about things that we could do better or different. I am disappointed to say that he didn't turn up on Saturday for the showcase, but maybe I will see his name somewhere in future - it is not one you forget - Shaulan!

For me I decided to go with what I felt was me. A more gaggy and observational delivery and I cut out the true but rather re-engineered stories. I was doing this between noon and 3 on Staurday afternoon before the show. Nothing like being last minute, but I felt happier at the end. I have no idea what our coach would have said and he was unable to be there on Saturday evening so I may never know, but he had said that we should find ourselves and our audience would find us - I think that is what I did - find myself I mean.

Of course nature conspired with the Northern Line being closed for engineering works so what should have been a relaxed journey became a nightmare of finding and then riding a replacement bus service. In the end I arrived on time.......just.

As I walked to the venue I had to lauch. It had been cited as Cecil House, but the in big letters it proclaimed itself to be the English Folk Dance and Song Society. Now this is one of the last places on earth you could expect to find me. The next two being sitting on the papal chair (I am not Catholic) and the other being High Hefner's mansion (I am not that lucky). I am the only person I know that was banned from dancing at their own wedding and as a precaution I had to mime my vows.

Anyway I did find some fellow performers there and the process started. They set up the running order and as I said I was first. Nerves were obviously getting to others, but for me I had done all I could. That said I decided to take advantage of being first and build a reference to the location into the opening of my act.

As the time approached I was pacing behind the entrance door. I heard my name and then I was on!

I think it went OK.....only when I see the video will I know. I got some laughs - I think - and I delivered most of what I intended to. I know I forgot and left out some, but I think it flowed OK. Afterwards my fellow class member had nice words about how it went and in the interval a couple of people from the audience had nice words. Maybe it was OK.

The best think about going first was I could then get a drink and watch the rest. No one died and we made a full show of around 2 1/2 hours.

We then received our certificates and the adventure was over. I seriously doubt that I will ever do it again, but I guess you never know. At least I know I could. I do have Ellen's 18th Birthday coming up sos maybe the Father's speech will be a little better that it might otherwise have been.

It is a shame my daughter was not there, but I did take the opportunity at the end of the act to mention her and wish her well in her acting career. That should be captured on video and eventually she will hear and know it.

All in all this was a more demanding challenge than I expected. I took a lot of time and energy from me. It made me look at certain things anew, with fresh eyes and I may have one or two new good friends.

Now to get back to the other things in life - like more interesting blogs and start thinking about Challenge 2014. I have already seen some fencing classes and am toying with that, but we shall see.

Thank you for sharing my journey and if the video is any good I may put it on Youtube. It is not due for a couple of weeks so please don't hold your breath.











No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.