Monday 20 May 2013

Never seen one of these before!

 
At the weekend I was preparing an area for a new patio and came across this red spider. I don't think I have ever seen one before and immediately decided to tread with caution. I took a few photos (sorry this is the best but still a little unclear) before letting it go in its way. This one was about 2cm in length.

Subsequent checks on the internet identify it as one of the few British spiders that can give you a  a bad bite - it says they can break the skin!!! This is maybe not such a surprise when you find out that it is a Woodlouse Spider (Dysdera crocata) and break open those critters.

For anyone interested here is the Wikipedia link .

I shall be keeping a wary out when I get on with the job next weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.