Tuesday 22 January 2013

Playing from the Bench!


In my 30 years working I have had two extended periods “on the bench” or “between jobs” if you like. Both have been in the last 10 years and my personal experience of each was rather different. I should say that I am working again now.
Being on the bench is more common these days than it was. I had been made redundant twice before the year 2000, but fortunately never ended up on the bench. Each time I had taken the out-placement help that was offered and heard all about working your network and the importance of a good CV (presentation as well as content). In retrospect I am not sure the advice helped me much back then, but I am glad I had the ideas locked in my memory to fall back on.
In recent weeks I have received some comments that suggested my recent experience could help others who are currently facing the difficult employment market.

Without labouring matters, the first time around I did not manage matters as well. My idea of networking was to call a few friends I had and once they could not help, that network branch rather died. I tended to rely upon internet job sites and scouring the email job lists I received daily. You can probably imagine the success rate and where the seeds of depression could take root. It was all about rejection, helplessness, futility and little support.

I have to say, with a little pride, that my most recent “rest” was unaided by out-placement and very different. I have tried to distil the differences into a quick list of seven (yes that magic number) thoughts.
1.       Be open in your attitude to opportunities. It is easy to define your potential just in terms of the roles you have fulfilled, eg “I used to be a {enter last role title}, so that is what I need to look for now”. This time around I looked at my skills and strengths and how they could apply to related opportunities. I did not try and launch a new career, but I did widen my thinking and was able to articulate the ideas quickly when I had a chance to explain. Even if someone offers you something you don’t want, listen and steer it around to explore opportunities you do.
I used some inexpensive analysis tools to help me gain some different perspectives. In particular I liked the insight and vocabulary that Strengthsfinder2.0 provided.

2.       You only have a half page CV. I will admit that the quality of my CV has ebbed and flowed. I recently realised that continual customisation (to fit it to each opportunity) had left it rather flabby, with key information being relegated to far back. A contact reminded me that in the current world you don’t really have a two or three page CV, but rather a half page CV with other information attached. As recruiters have less and less time, if you do not make the right impression with the right information in the first 10 lines or so, then the recruiter will already be looking at the next CV. I have certainly noticed the difference when I get it right!
Linked to this is check the rest of the CV to remove anything that could give the recruiter a reason to still reject your CV eg owning up to a strong interest in heavy metal will only appeal to a small audience – so leave it off.

3.       Be aware of and develop your brand. This sounds simple, but can be hard work.

a.       Get a decent email address; foxy@hotmail.com is wrong in so many ways!
b.      Put a decent voicemail greeting on your phone
c.       Have some decent personal cards printed, they are not expensive
d.      Think about blogging
e.      Build an effective profile on Linkedin and other networking and recruitment sites
f.        Contribute to relevant discussions and forums demonstrating your knowledge and approach

4.       Be sure to invest in your future. By this I mean take time to build your knowledge and influence
a.       Develop key network contacts, by meeting them for lunch or afterwork
b.      Join discussion groups, especially ones you can get to physically, but also online gatherings in areas where you either already have expertise or want to develop it. It is amazing what rubs off just through mixing with experts

5.       “No” is only the end if you let it be. Most people want to help and do not like saying “No” to someone in need. This means that they probably want to say “Yes” to your next request. This could be asking for any other good contacts, permission to contact them again at some point, feedback on your CV, etc.
The other thing is to judge the right time to make contact again. Too frequent and you can exhaust their goodwill, too seldom and you may well be forgotten.  Some people will be more useful that others, generally if you feel some sort of rapport then those are the ones to cultivate further.

6.       Karma works. This is a rather personal belief, but if in my efforts to find a role, I spotted an opportunity to help someone else I knew then I always took that opportunity. I expected nothing in return, but believed it would make it more likely that someone else would help me. Of course when it worked it also strengthened my network, both with my contact and the recruiter, which is no bad thing.

7.       Keep smiling, even when it hurts. If it looks as if you have lost faith in yourself why should others invest in you? This smiling is not just on your face, but how you dress, how you walk and how you talk. We all have down times, but when you do, be careful. Either spend it is with close friends who knows you and understand and may be able to lift you, alternatively, and this is the only time I recommend this action, blag it. Make out that you are smiling even if you are not.

I may have been lucky this time (eventually), but then again maybe I created that luck. Looking back I do think looking that I have embraced all seven of these ideas more positively this time around and it helped…. a lot.
I will do my best to help anyone if I can, especially in these difficult times and if this article helps just one person then Karma look out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.