Tuesday 12 June 2012

The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend.


The quote in the title is from Henry David Thoreau. It was on a key ring given to me almost 50 years ago by an ex-girlfriend. It was a time when all those schmulzy Susan Polis Shutz cards were around and this was paper pasted onto board and when the paper came loose I kept it, but seem to have lost it now. [PS Today I found the paper in a photo album.....obviously put there for safe keeping. Also found a dried leaf clover given to me by a different ex-girlfriend that I feared I had lost.]
The reason for this intro was that I had reason to go into my case of old papers the other day. This is an old work brief case. I have not been overly sentimental about keeping things so there is a limit to what will fit in there. The trigger was a conversation with my mother who said she had met the mother of a girl I had known in school, but could not remember her name - neither could I so I went to look for some old school papers.
The reason for this post was to capture the obvious truth that it is worth keeping some things in order that they can trigger memories you might otherwise have lost. It was quite nostalgic to go looking through the various materials in that case.
There were scouting badges and rock concert programmes along with my invitation to take part in an England rugby trial and the telegram (yes a real telegram) that offered advised me of my place at university. There were alsoa couple of letter from tutors and piece of the rowing eight that we crashed.
On a more romatic side there was my first Valentine (no, I still don't know who it came from thought I did have my ideas) and other letters and cards from girlfriends, girl friends and my future (and still) wife. I have to admit though that there are a couple of names that I really struggle to recall; a Sara and a Mary. There are tow cards from Sara so that obviously means more.
There were also a set of lyrics for popular(?) rugby songs, evidence that I tried to write poetry even back in school (I had truly forgotten that) and instructions about how to find the mid point of a line using only a pair of compasses!!
Regarding school I have a number of copies of the old school magazine, and various prize day programmes. It was this latter set that I went to in order to scour for possible candidates for this un-remembered girl. That said I found myself looking through all the old magazines too.
Last, but not least was a small picture of my maternal grandparents.



I think it was good for the soul to do that and in order to do so one needs the physical triggers. If you are thinking of turning out your old papers and memoriesy, think again and see if you don't have a small corner somewhere that they can be kept.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.