Wednesday 23 June 2010

Art for art's sake.......

I have always been what you might call a ratiuonalist and at school my headmaster singled me out for special coaching in poetry and philosophy after describing me as an intellectual philistine.

So you might think it somewhat out of character to find me at the Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy last night. Not so, as my willingness to explore and challenge myself grows with each passing day.

I did find it interesting the price tags attached to pieces that one would have thought a competent 8-year old could have produced. I am sure there was much more to many of this items than I saw or heard speak to me, but I was left with an uneasy feeling.


Some where undoubtedly clever, for example the gorilla made out of coat hangers or the handdrawn pictographic A-Z of London. Others just cried out, but it was interesting that these were mainly from what I would call recognised and established artists such as David Hockney.

There was also a post apocalytic Canary Wharf entitled "the victory of debt".

Most, however, just looked ordinary like the one that had the word "water" printed upside down - that was all!!

The show favourite appeared to be Tracy Emin with orange stickers multiplying on her works by the minute. I have no idea why other than the desire to say one has an "Emin". One in particular was a pencil drawing of a poorly drawn figure ("she can't even draw a proper person") and three outline penis' and scrotums jumping over a hurdle and some comment about it being interesting how high they can jump. Price tag - exhorbitant as I recall.

Well it was interesting and, as my wife said, the champagne and canapes were great. My cheque book failed to make an appearance being locked deep in an inside pocket.

The quote of the night was "How nice to see you. The last time we met was on a beach in Barbados."

Sort of sums it all up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.