Sunday 23 May 2010

Gobsmacked!!

This is not why I set up this Blog, but I have just been moved hugely and want to record it.

In the Sunday Times today (Sunday 23rd May 2010) is an interview with Andy Ripley. He was a boyhood hero. An England rugby player who also played for the Lions and the Barbarians. We was a giant of a man and although we never met it was so obvious that he was both a superb athlete and a superb human.

For those that do not know him this earlier interview may help http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/article581684.ece

Anyway the shock today was picture of him collecting an award (OBE?) from Prince Charles on Friday. He is frail, in a wheelchair and has been blind for two weeks due to tumours pressing in his optic nerve. This is all the result of a battle with prostate cancer. He is receiving a Blythe Spirit award from his rugby community later this week and I wish I could be there.

It is not about realising ones own mortality or about the change in him (tho' I confess that is a shock), but that this world is on the verge of losing a great, but in many ways unknown man.

I wonder how many of this generation's top sports stars will make such a mark?

Enough said. Let me just say that if the lump in my throat is any measure then this man deserves our admiration and spiritual support in his growing struggle.

Here is the article http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rugby_union/article7133833.ece

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.